The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.’ Numbers 14:18
According to research, every year more than 3.6 million referrals are made to child protection agencies involving more than 6.6 million children. The United States is said to have one of the worst records among industrialized nations– losing on average between four and seven children every day to child abuse and neglect. In order to raise awareness and give reminders to everybody that child abuse, in whatever forms has a huge impact in children’s lives. I have gathered 5 of the most disturbing documentaries among all I’ve watched, relating to child abuse, sexual abuse in specific.
- Child of Rage– This documentary focus on 6 year old girl, Beth Thomas which was discovered to be a victim of sexual abuse when she was just 1 year-old. She talks about how her birth father molested her that as can be seen, has resulted to a horrible impact in her mind as a child. Beth’s adoptive parents shared their terrifying experience living with her. The remaining scenes focus on how Beth plans to kill her family and how she little by little recovers with the trauma. Luckily, Beth is now living normally as a certified nursing assistant.
- Just Melvin, Just Evil -This is a true story of incestion, a series of sexual abuse committed by Melvin E. Just to all of his daughters even son. In the documentary which was documented by James Ronald Whitney, Melvin’s grandson, he interviewed his family members asserting how his grandfather molested them at an early age. In a certain part of the documentary, Melvin can be seen being confronted by James Whitney on camera about the accusations which he firmly denies at all. The film ends when Whitney’s aunts visited Just in the nursing home. Some of his aunts cannot face him while the others give him hugs and a kiss. Few months after the film has been done, Melvin died at the age of 71.
- Child Sexual Abuse Allegations in the UK- This is a video footage of an 8 year old child being interrogated by a psychiatrist. The child was asked multiple questions in regards to the alleged sexual abuse. Based on the reactions of the people who have watched the footage, it seems that the child has been brainwashed and was directed to narrate what happened to him in a different story. Now, in my opinion, I think that the child is indeed a victim of sexual abuse. If you observe his actions, the way he talks, how he responds to the questions is quite strange. I believe in the speculations that the child was possibly brainwashed in order for the molester to be kept hidden. He’s a child, too naive to simply make up stories. No matter what is behind this story, I hope for the child’s recovery.
- The Lost Girls of South Africa -A documentary set in South Africa. It reveals the shocking situation of children mostly women who suffer from sexual abuse. According to the film, 62% of South African secondary schoolboys believe forcing someone to have sex is not an act of violence, and one third of male learners believe girls enjoy rape. It is also mentioned that a girl born in South Africa has a one in three chance of completing secondary education, and a one in a four chance of being raped. This was nominated in EMMY Awards though it unluckily won the award, still an award-winning documentary for me.
- The Mary Bell Case -In 1968, Mary Flora Bell, an 11 year old girl killed two little boys by strangling them to death for the pleasure and excitement of killing. The bodies were discovered on waste ground two months later with the letter M carved into his stomach with scissors. She later won a court order giving her right to anonymity for life. According to research, Mary’s family background may be responsible for her strange behavior. Similar to Beth Thomas, Mary Bell has suffered to sexual abuse that haunted her throughout her childhood. It was discovered that her mother, Betty, forced her to engage in sexual acts with men at the age of four.
As I have said, which I am certain everyone is aware, Child abuse has a huge impact in the individual’s being. It ruins a child’s innocence which may lead them to horrible deeds taken the children included in my list as an example. Do not let any child suffers from this terrible crime. Act not because you just want to help, do it because you can’t stand letting a life about to be ruined.
research source: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse-statistics/